Hello my loves,
Happy Thursday, how are you? I am super sorry this post is going live so late, I have been all over the place today trying to tie up lose ends and getting my adult life back on track and my laptop crashed last night and lost over half of my work. My advice to those of you who are excited to grow up before your time, don’t do it! Adulthood is a trap and definetley not all parties and money! This leads me straight into my post.
I am lucky enough to have been kindly gifted another Jennifer Juan poetry book to review. After reading her 27, with a white lighter book I was very excited to work with her team again. You can find my review of her previous book here.
I have a few favourite poems from her collection but before I jump into them, I thought it would be a good idea to share a little bit about Jennifer Juan with you. The information I am about to share was sent in my press release package.
About Jennifer Juan
- Jennifer Juan is a cultural melting pot of an artist. She is a writer, musician, a producer, a film maker and a pod cast host, currently residing in the Kent countryside, but dreaming of the ocean.
- A tornado of darkness and delicacy, Juan creates engaging and powerful projects, using a variety of mediums and platforms, each dripping with her signature playful, yet powerful style of writing.
- Beginning her journey as an artist as a teenager, Juan graduated from the University of Greenwich in 2013, and began sharing her work on her personal website, JenniferJuan.com, as well as through social media, posting written poetry and video projects.
- In 2017, Juan began producing a weekly podcast, Sincerely, Jennifer x, sharing her poetry and insights into her writing techniques, and also released several printed volumes of poetry, including critically acclaimed “Home Wrecker” and in 208’s “27, With A White Lighter” as well as her debut EP “Wildflowers”, with her music gaining over 29,000 listeners on Spotify alone in her first year as a recording artist.
Other books by the artist
- Stormy Weather
- Last Of The Greenwich Glamour Girls
- The Things We Did Last Summer
- Home Wrecker
- Kissing Boys, Just For The Thrill
- 27, With A White Lighter
About this book
- Jennifer Juan’s poetry collection, Ol’ Brown Eyes Is Back is a triumphant cry of freedom, and an emancipation from the old insecurities and ideals that so many find themselves trapped by.
- Filled with honest, healing verses that tell a story of self discovery, healing and the road to self acceptance, Ol’ Brown Eyes Is Back is witty but heartfelt, giving fresh perspectives on a millennials life, the perils of romance, mental health and the modern world, finding beauty in life’s hardest moments, and celebrating the joy at its finest.
- For everyone travelling through life who needs to hear that they’re not alone, this volume will be a breath of fresh air and a comforting friend, for the good times and the bad.
I absolutely loved this because I feel like I related to it a lot more than her other books. I found a few of my favourites that really hit me and made me think about things that I have been through and why I relate to them so much. A few of her poems I did completely disagree with, but not because what she wrote was nonsense, but because I see the world in a different way to her and that’s okay. Jennifer is a very strong, independent, open woman and I whole heartedly respect her for it. She is very unapologetic for her thoughts and feelings and I definitely feel times when I relate to her.
My first favourite poem is COMPOSITION. I feel she captured the true essence of what life is like now compared to what it use to be. If I look back to my childhood and watch the children around me grow up now, I am truly grateful that I wasn’t born in this time where everything has to be social media perfect. I know a lot of people were a lot happier without it.
My second favourite poem is A PASSION THAT HAD MOVED INTO HIS BODY, LIKE A STRANGER. I am not sure if this is the story behind it but when I read this story it made me think of a past love, who I spent my summer with, making memories and misbehaving. Juan mentions in this poem “I dream of our days, smoking stolen, scolding cigarettes, misbehaving in the meadows, convincing myself I wont miss you”. I related to this part because when I was younger I would sneak off with my boyfriend at the time to the meadow and smoke the cigarettes he stole from his parents. We were always known for misbehaving but we were young and felt free in a world that was falling apart around us. In my head I was having flashbacks of the most amazing times and for me, that’s what made this poem a little extra special for me. Now, before you all jump to the wrong idea, I do not miss my ex and the relationship I shared with him. I am thankful for the good times and the bad times we shared together because they taught me many lessons, but I am very happy making new memories, learning new lessons and experiencing new things with Jack.
My third favourite poem is THE GIRL ON THE ISLAND. This poem makes me think about Jack. When we first started talking I didn’t think I was good enough for him. I truly felt like I didn’t deserve him and to tell you the truth, I still get those feelings. He is a million times better than I will ever be and that’s hard to shake. I felt as though at times I was drowning myself in my own thoughts and insecurities. He has made me feel totally different now though, he honestly is the sweetest. Since being with him I feel like my insecurities are no longer pulling me under and that I am definetley enough for him. I love Jennifer for making me see how far I have already come.
I don’t want to ruin any poems for you so I suggest you purchase this book tomorrow when it gets released. (Friday 31st May 2019). I have thoroughly enjoyed this poem book and I am looking forward to adding it to my collection.
Thank you so much for reading tonight’s review post. I really hope enjoyed it, if you did be sure to leave a like and a comment below. Make sure you check out Jennifer’s books out too and follow her social media’s to keep up to date with her journey.
I will be back tomorrow with a goal review post.
Sending you all my love,